Have you hugged a law student or lawyer lately? No? Well, maybe you should.
Turns out, underneath their hard exteriors, some of them have squishy insides that just need some squishin'.
Thanks to my Google Reader "law student" alert, I stumbled across GroupHug, a website that allows users to post anonymous confessions online a la PostSecret. Unlike PostSecret, however, members of the community can interact with the poster and send them a cyber "hug".
Here's the post that my GR picked up on:
- Confession #294244324: "I’m a law student who repeated 1st year 3x. I feel so ashamed. I know what my peers think of me. And while I love being a law student, I feel like I’m wearing an 'I’m stupid' shirt all the time."
Curious to see if other law students had posted as well, I searched the site and came across these:
- Confession #782743846: "Truth be told, I’m not smart enough for law school."
- Confession #228748274: "I lied to my family and everyone else about applying and getting in to law school because I felt too much pressure and wanted to take a year off before going. Now if I don’t get into the school that I have supposedly deferred from I might be found out! I hate lying because you have to follow your web of deceit around and make sure it isn’t found out."
- Confession #679368142: "i want to be a lawyer but i worry sometimes if i have what it takes!"
Of course, the lawyers need some McLovin too:
- Confession #762490921: "i’m a workaholic lawyer and i wish i could sit around all day smoking pot and playing video games."
Here's the kicker, though. Even though it's sad that a law student or a lawyer can't reach out to their families or friends and instead feel they have to post to the GroupHug site, what's even sadder is that the "hug" feature on the site has been disabled indefinitely.